This healthcare certificate program will prepare students for entry-level positions in the healthcare industry. Students will gain knowledge and skills pertinent to work in the medical industry and will be provided a basis of preparation to pursue further training and employment in the health industry and beyond. This certificate is unique in that is provides opportunities to gain work experience which will occur throughout the 8-week work placement after the completion of the in-class training portion of the program. Participants will also acquire life skills, job readiness, essential skills, as well as cultural competency training to better prepare them for retention in the workforce.
- Receive a Statement of Completion from Niagara College
- Assisting occupations in support of health services saw the greatest increase in employment according to the Workforce Planning Board of Hamilton.
- The 8-week paid work placement will provide participants with hands-on training.
- Earn while you learn! Participants are eligible to receive up to $300 per week while enrolled in the program.
- To meet minimum NPAAMB eligibility requirements you must be:
- A registered NPAAMB client (if you are not, contact your local YSO to schedule an intake appointment).
- Reside within one of the following catchment areas: Kitchener-Waterloo, Brantford, Hamilton, St. Catharines, or Fort Erie and Niagara Falls (proof of residency may be required).
- Self-identify as an Aboriginal person (status/non-status First Nation, Inuit, or Metis).
- 15 to 30 years of age at the time of intake/selection.
- A desire to learn, participate, and accomplish personal career goals.
- Out of school, unemployed or underemployed.
- Senior level high school or equivalent.
- Must be willing to participate in academic upgrading prior to and during program.
- If participant is a previous NPAAMB client, must demonstrate successful completion of prior interventions.
- Must not have received NPAAMB occupational skills training in the last year. If so, then the skills training must support the extension or enhancement of an existing action plan.
- Commitment to full attendance.
- Must be willing to accept 8-week work placement locally or outside city of residence.
This program is proudly sponsored by
- Government of Canada
- Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) – Skills and Partnership Fund
- Niagara College
8 weeks of on-the-job skills training
|Deadline to Apply||January 9, 2019|
|Starts||January 29, 2019|
|Ends||May 3, 2019|
|Duration||13-weeks, next cohort will run January - May 2019|
|Cost||100% of funding covered by NPAAMB|
*Please note that any or all program supports will require a T4A to be issued by NPAAMB to the participants for income tax declaration purposes as required by the Canada Revenue Agency. Additional training supports are based on individual need and assessment completion by regional Youth Service Officers.
Niagara College Welland Campus
How to Apply
To register, please contact your regional Youth Service Officer to be included in our ongoing inventory of applicants.