Apprenticeship Opportunity Fund (AOF)
The Apprenticeship Opportunity Fund (AOF) provides support services to enhance the successful completion of an approved pre-apprenticeship or apprenticeship training program.
- An authentic apprenticeship is a registered contract between an apprentice (worker) who wants to learn a trade and an employer who needs a skilled worker.
- Apprenticeship training helps future tradespeople develop the skills they need to be successful in high-demand trades through hands-on work experience and in-school training.
- New annual apprenticeship registrations in programs across Ontario have grown from 17,100 in 2002-03 to more than 26,500 in 2014-2015.
- The typical duration of support by NPAAMB is 4 months, but can be up to 52 weeks.
- To meet minimum NPAAMB eligibility requirements you must be:
- A registered NPAAMB client (if you are not, contact your local YSO to schedule an intake appointment).
- Reside within one of the following catchment areas: Kitchener-Waterloo, Brantford, Hamilton, St. Catharines, or Fort Erie and Niagara Falls (proof of residency may be required).
- Self-identify as an Aboriginal person (status/non-status First Nation, Inuit, or Metis).
- 15 to 30 years of age at the time of intake/selection.
- A desire to learn, participate and accomplish personal career goals.
- Out of school, unemployed, or underemployed.
- If a previous NPAAMB client, must demonstrate successful completion of prior interventions provided by NPAAMB.
- Registered apprentice with the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development (MAESD) and other approved apprenticeship offices.
- Demonstrate that you have researched the trade you are applying for
- Commitment to full attendance
- Willingness to participate in math and/or English upgrading
- High school diploma or equivalent
This program will help its participants become a registered apprentice working toward becoming a certified journeyperson in a skilled trade.
|Starts||October 30, 2018|
|Duration||Maximum length of training is 1 year (52 weeks) for each intervention|
|Cost||Up to 100% of funding covered by NPAAMB|
Financial assistance and wage subsidy
Start-up tool fund
How to Apply
To register, please contact your regional Youth Service Officer to be included in our ongoing inventory of applicants.